Real or Fake?

Talking about friendship here. I was tweeting with one of my friends on twitter, one of my friends asking who I was talking to. I told her who I talking to and she said "Oh.. One of your "fake" friends". That offended me in several ways. I don't consider my friends who I've met online any less significant than my real life friends, just because I haven't hung out with them in person. I've met some great friends online and most of which I have no doubt we will be lifelong friends.

During my time as an Army wife, I spent a lot of time on a chat forum for Army Wives. I met a lot of really great women. Some of which I am still friends with today. Even though, I'm not in that life anymore. If someone told me that they weren't really my friends because of how we met, I would be hurt. These women went through some of the hardest times in my life with me. We laugh, cried, supported each other together. 

What is a friend?

friend  (frnd)n.
1. A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.
2. A person whom one knows; an acquaintance.
3. A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade.
4. One who supports, sympathizes with, or patronizes a group, cause, or movement

Sure, one could say you really don't know who you are talking to, they could be making up everything, etc. But the same could be said for friends you know in real life. I have been friends with some shady, deceitful individuals. Those were people I've met in real life. Those people are no longer in my life, thankfully.

I have friends on Facebook and Twitter. I have friends I met at work. I have friends I've known since middle school. They are all friends. Some I know better than others, some I have met in person, some I haven't. Some I will meet one day, and some I probably won't.

To all my "fake" friends... I love you just like I love my "real" friends.

0 comments:

Post a Comment



Subscibe via Email

Enter your email address:

Powered by Blogger.